March 28, 2024, 01:04:07 AM

Author Topic: How to make a new character - Part 1  (Read 20170 times)

Jak (ripened peach)

• Administrator
  • I codes the codes
    • View Profile
    • Ripened Peach Entertainment
How to make a new character - Part 1
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:23:19 AM »
Note: The following information is out of date with the introduction of the new Character Editor but will be left here for reference.  Please see this thread for more up-to-date info.

I'm making this thread to organize the instructions for the process of making new characters for Sex Sim.  There are several threads here in this section that deal with various parts and this thread will attempt to tie it all together to make sense.

1. Set up the character's XML file

Every character in Sex Sim is set up with their own individual information file, which is in XML format.  You don't need to have any special editors to work with an XML file, nor do you need to necessarily know what an XML file is, but just know that it's a special text file set up in a certain way.

When you want to create a new character, the first thing to do is choose one of the XML files for an existing character and go from there.  To do that, choose one of the characters you already have, let's say Robyn (everyone has her).

1. You'll need to use Windows Explorer to find Robyn's XML file.  It's located in your main Sex Sim directory inside the Sex Sim\Runtime\_aData\characters\ folder.  Look for a file named "f-Robyn.xml".  That's Robyn's info file. 

2. Copy Robyn's XML file by right clicking it and choosing "Copy".  Next, find you way into the Sex Sim\Runtime\user_created\characters\.  Notice the difference in paths.  One has "_aData" which is where all of the official files go, and the other has "user_created", which is where everything that you create will go.  Paste the file into that folder, then rename it to something like "f-Betty.xml" or whatever your character's name will be.

3. Next you'll need to open the file up in NotePad or some other text editor.  I use TextPad or UltraEdit depending on what I'm working on, but any good text editor will do.

4. Now it's time to edit the character's attributes.  See this thread for detailed info on this process.

5. Once you've edited the attributes you can save the file and start Sex Sim.  You should see your new character in the character select screen.

6. To make a thumbnail image for your character, you need a 190x190 pixel image in PNG format.  Save it in the Sex Sim\Runtime\user_created\characters\thumbs\ folder as "tn_f_Betty.png", replacing "Betty" with the name of your character.  Make sure to edit the XML file (see above) to let it know which thumbnail image to use.  Now when you look in Sex Sim you'll see your character along with her custom thumbnail image.

2. Using Custom Textures

1. The above instructions tell you how to change the physical attributes of a new character, but you can also use your own character textures to truly make her your own.  See this thread for full info on how to do that.

3. Misc. Ideas

1.  Breast editing: See this thread.

2.  Pubic hair editing: See this thread.

3. See the rest of this section of the forum for more tips, guides, etc.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:32:12 PM by Jak (ripened peach) »

IXLUK

• Tester
  • I love Sex Sim!
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a new character - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:56:51 PM »
How can we make male Characters?  Is there a texture template you can share?

CapnKlutz

• Tester
  • Secret life of a Superhero ;0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:47:44 AM »
Thanks for the detailed step by step instructions.

Very informative.

I'll do a chunk of reading, & then maybe give it a whirl  :eyebrows:

Cap'n.  8)
Sanity is in the eye of the beholder.

Jak (ripened peach)

• Administrator
  • I codes the codes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
How can we make male Characters?  Is there a texture template you can share?

I don't have a template ready just yet but it's being worked on!

LURG

• I love Sex Sim!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »
HI there, Jak!

Used this 'how-to' to create an own char. Worked out really good, but now 'Robyn' looks the same as my creation, although I changed the name, the layers of the textures and anything after copying and pasting 'Robyn's text from the '_aData' to the 'user_created'-Folder (I even created an own folder for my textures, own names, own images, anything)....

Maybe I did something wrong.

Maybe U can help me out?
Thanx in advance.
LURG

Jak (ripened peach)

• Administrator
  • I codes the codes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 04:33:09 PM »
HI there, Jak!

Used this 'how-to' to create an own char. Worked out really good, but now 'Robyn' looks the same as my creation, although I changed the name, the layers of the textures and anything after copying and pasting 'Robyn's text from the '_aData' to the 'user_created'-Folder (I even created an own folder for my textures, own names, own images, anything)....

Maybe I did something wrong.

Maybe U can help me out?
Thanx in advance.
LURG

Send me a private message with the text from your XML file and I'll take a look.

Jak (ripened peach)

• Administrator
  • I codes the codes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:02:09 AM »
I'm sorry, podemos, but my Spanish translation is weak.  Are you asking about sunglasses?

NMM

• Tester
  • Storytime!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
He's either asking if you can make some sunglasses addons, or is a spambot wanting to sell you sunglasses. Judging by the link in his sig, probably the latter.

Jak (ripened peach)

• Administrator
  • I codes the codes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »
He's either asking if you can make some sunglasses addons, or is a spambot wanting to sell you sunglasses. Judging by the link in his sig, probably the latter.

Yeah I figured he was a spambot but I wanted to make sure before I pulled the plug.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk