April 24, 2024, 12:18:31 PM

Author Topic: Bug: Gap between top and bottom layers  (Read 14102 times)

mandolphin

• I love Sex Sim!
    • View Profile
Bug: Gap between top and bottom layers
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »
When I create a "full body" outfit, there is always a thin gap between the top and bottom if the top overlaps the bottom.  I'm not using any edge effects (anti-aliasing or fading), and it doesn't matter how I separate the top and the bottom.  See screenshots.

clothing gap 1 - the top is cut at a straight line.  It overlaps the bottom
clothing gap 2 - the top is cut in a square/jagged line.  It overlaps the bottom.

Jak (ripened peach)

• Administrator
  • I codes the codes
    • View Profile
    • Ripened Peach Entertainment
Re: Bug: Gap between top and bottom layers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
Funny you should mention this.  I was just working on some clothes and thought about posting this tip...

When I make clothes I make them in Photoshop but Photoshop has a weird way of saving PNGs that's not standard.  It ends up adding a slight halo edge around everything.  To solve it I do this:

1. Load up the PNG into GIMP.
2. Set the background color to 128, 128, 128.
3. "Save As" and save over the original PNG file.
4. Make sure the settings are as follows:

That gets rid of the halo.  Do that for all of your clothing PNG files and you should find them to look better than they do straight out of Photoshop.

ADDED: Please make sure you check your GIMP settings again.  I accidentally posted the wrong settings when I first made this post.

mandolphin

• I love Sex Sim!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »
I actually created the original images in GIMP.  How do I set the background color to 128, 128, 128?  Currently, I'm using an alpha layer that is "deleted".  Are you saying I should use "transparent" instead of deleted?  Not sure how to do that...

Jak (ripened peach)

• Administrator
  • I codes the codes
    • View Profile
    • Ripened Peach Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 02:50:49 PM »
See this part, section 2 about changing the background color in GIMP.

I use Photoshop and I'm not super familiar with GIMP other than using it to resave my PNGs, so as far as transparency goes I can't really go into too much detail on that, but basically you want it so the clothes are on their own layer without any background color.  In other words, there is nothing on that layer except for the clothes.  I hope that makes sense.  If you load up one of the existing outfit images you'll see what I mean.  You'll probably want to dig into the GIMP docs to find out how to do layers like that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk