March 28, 2024, 12:39:43 PM

Author Topic: Making environments. Is it possible yet?  (Read 15890 times)

TechnoDemon

• I love Sex Sim!
    • View Profile
Making environments. Is it possible yet?
« on: October 14, 2012, 01:47:16 PM »
I'm more than a little proficient with Poser, for example, and I'm sure that there are numerous other people here that are equally able - and motivated - to make custom environments.

Whether it's user-made for ourselves or for release/sharing or even just to assist YOU, Jak, any info on what would be needed (should this ever come to pass) would be appreciated. Even if it's just setting up the environment in OBJ (or other file type) and sending it to you.

Heck, at this point I'd even be happy being able to change the textures in the original environment.

Jak (ripened peach)

• Administrator
  • I codes the codes
    • View Profile
    • Ripened Peach Entertainment
Re: Making environments. Is it possible yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 05:42:33 PM »
I would love to find someone to help with making environments.  I'm actually working on a new one now and hope to release it soon, but they definitely take a while to create.  They have to be set up with exactly the right scales, texturing style, space between areas, etc. which is why it's hard to find someone else to do them.  I've hired a few people to do it but ended up not using their work as it wasn't quite up to the standards I want for the sim.

LazeeDragon

• i love creating too bad cannot do guys yet lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
i have an great idea for an environment! how about an airplane? u have the cockpit, bathroom, seats, the aisle, etc...
so for those who really have not been or cannot be in the "mile high" club can thru sexsims :)
just an idea ^^ if i knew how i would make it lol
~LD~
~LD~

Kathulu

• Curo Unum, Curo Omnes
    • View Profile
    • The Controlled Mind
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 06:44:47 AM »
Since we now have fetish outfits maybe a bondage environment is in order like a rack or stockaid. someplace to subdue either the women or the male characters....similar to the illusion game custom maids torture chamber
八个方向从中心

LazeeDragon

• i love creating too bad cannot do guys yet lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
cool idea Kathulu i think that would b awesome :)
~LD~

Scarecrowmanny

• This is a tasty little sim.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 02:57:11 PM »
I would love to find someone to help with making environments.  I'm actually working on a new one now and hope to release it soon, but they definitely take a while to create.  They have to be set up with exactly the right scales, texturing style, space between areas, etc. which is why it's hard to find someone else to do them.  I've hired a few people to do it but ended up not using their work as it wasn't quite up to the standards I want for the sim.

I'm not the most advanced CG artist in the world, and I'm not certain what formats you're using to compile the environments, but honestly making TOP QUALITY levels really shouldn't be all that difficult. I'm surprised you're having so much difficulty finding someone to do it for you. Disregard the $$$. What formats are you looking for?
How can it be rape if both you and I know you're loving it?

Giselle

• Queen Bee
  • Administrator
  • bzzz bzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:53:33 AM »
I'm not the most advanced CG artist in the world, and I'm not certain what formats you're using to compile the environments, but honestly making TOP QUALITY levels really shouldn't be all that difficult. I'm surprised you're having so much difficulty finding someone to do it for you. Disregard the $$$. What formats are you looking for?

Jak isn't here anymore and I'm the main developer on the project now, so I can answer from my own perspective.

Making environments for this game and for my other game requires certain ways of doing things that are sometimes difficult to explain to artists for hire. Objects such as couches and tables and so forth all have to be set in specific places, at very specific dimensions, etc. in order to work properly with the animations.

The environments are generally made in 3DS Max and exported as FBX files which are then brought into Unity. Once the environment is inside Unity it then needs shaders and extra textures created for it, things like that. That's not something that can be done outside of Unity so it has to be done in the engine.

In the past when we had other artists do it, when it came time to put the levels into the game, aside from the shaders, etc. we also frequently had to move things around, sometimes slightly, sometimes not so much, to make it all work properly. That usually means destroying any lightmaps that have been created, as they have to then be re-made.

Add to that the cost required to hire out a 3D artist who can not only do kick ass environment work but who can also work within the dimensions constraints the games need, and the cost starts to add up. A high quality level done to the specifications required could easily run into the thousands of dollars. These games do not make a huge amount of money and are largely labors of love, so any added costs like that need to be weighed against how many units will sell of that particular add-on.

Basically, the process of making environments for these games requires someone who's very familiar with how the games and animations work, how it all fits together, etc. and can work directly inside Unity with the animations and figures. It's largely a back-and-forth approach, meaning the levels get finalized in the engine editor while testing with the animations. That's not something that can be hired out for very easily as it pretty much requires someone to be here in the "studio" working on it.

Plus, of course, some people just don't want to work on adult related game projects, so that cuts out a few more artists from the possibility list.

So, in the end, it is usually my partner who makes the levels (and she doesn't work on these full time) and me who finishes them up. We both know how it all works as a whole so that method works.

I'm not saying that no outside artist will ever make an environment for these games, I'm just answering the idea that it "shouldn't be hard" to find someone to do it. :)

With all of that said, I'm currently working on a new level for Sex Sim that will be released very soon.

Scarecrowmanny

• This is a tasty little sim.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
I gotcha
I'm not saying that no outside artist will ever make an environment for these games, I'm just answering the idea that it "shouldn't be hard" to find someone to do it. :)

With all of that said, I'm currently working on a new level for Sex Sim that will be released very soon.

Thanks Giselle. That explains your people's dilemma.

Here's a suggestion:

1.) It would be great to find a way to get the 'labor of love' volunteerism in to help you guys make aspects of this game grow more efficiently. I'm sure a lot of individuals like myself would be we willing to help in some way, without the need of a monetary compensation.

2.) Also, why not consider modulating the resources and tasks needed? Someone could focus on modelling one FBX object needed in the room. Others could focus on just on a texture specific for that model. These are things that could be done on the user level. Broken light maps are one thing, -but with the right kind of specifications UP FRONT, the task would be making one piece of the puzzle. And it would be a lot simpler for a single person.

Granted, I might be thinking idealistically here... but consider handling it as a side project. When someone has these skills, they could drop a piece of what abilities they have into the soup.

Quality is key, of course, but if things are being done in tiny bits, you guys would have less to do. Just the patchwork of stitching it altogether and QC measures would be your task. And if it was set up in the right fashion, with a checklist of leftover tasks and progress bar, it would be less overwhelming for you and people would see whats being made. Theoretically.

Thanks for your explanation, btw.
How can it be rape if both you and I know you're loving it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk