April 28, 2024, 02:13:06 PM

Author Topic: Update 1.7-1.7b searching entire hard drive  (Read 22930 times)

@Valerian@

• Time to play the game !
    • View Profile
Re: Update 1.7-1.7b searching entire hard drive
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
I think, the idea using a patch/update instead of every time make a complete new installation of the game, is the right way !

Regarding the update problems:
Why not just pretend that the Update.exe needs to be copied into the SexSim installation-folder and executed there?

Then it would not matter which path was Sexsim installed, no need to search the registry, etc...

jon_joy_1999

• I love Sex Sim!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »
I think, the idea using a patch/update instead of every time make a complete new installation of the game, is the right way !

Why not just pretend that the Update.exe needs to be copied into the SexSim installation-folder and executed there?

Then it would not matter which path was Sexsim installed, no need to search the registry, etc...
this would require moving the updater to the sexsim folder, either manually -which may not be possible without 'administrator approval', and leads to tickets like "I tried moving the updater to the install folder but got access denied"- or automatically which requires the use of the registry to locate the install folder.
however neither one of these methods would fix the problem of the installer not correctly identifying the updater when ran.
another method would be to simply write the data to the current folder without performing any checks, but then someone would say "I installed the update but am still on the old version" (update installed in the Wrong location) or "I installed the update and it overwrote the pictures of my grandma!" (update installed in the More Wrong location).

this sort of highlights one of the problems that software developers deal with, there are many different types of people, and many different types of environments, and building a single thing that works for everyone is very difficult.

a bit like designing a vehicle that can fly in the air, sail on the water, and drive at highway speed

Giselle

• Queen Bee
  • Administrator
  • bzzz bzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 01:28:49 PM »
Exactly. The full installer works and is able to locate the path with no trouble, so it's best to stick with that. We use one program to create the installer and a different one to create the patches. They are from the same company but there is too much difficulty trying to troubleshoot two programs versus one. We generally only release a new update ever couple of months anyway, so in most cases a full install is needed. The recent patch attempt was mainly to hotfix a couple of bugs that snuck in.

@Valerian@

• Time to play the game !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »

this would require moving the updater to the sexsim folder, either manually -which may not be possible without 'administrator approval', and leads to tickets like "I tried moving the updater to the install folder but got access denied"- or automatically which requires the use of the registry to locate the install folder.
however neither one of these methods would fix the problem of the installer not correctly identifying the updater when ran.
another method would be to simply write the data to the current folder without performing any checks, but then someone would say "I installed the update but am still on the old version" (update installed in the Wrong location) or "I installed the update and it overwrote the pictures of my grandma!" (update installed in the More Wrong location).

this sort of highlights one of the problems that software developers deal with, there are many different types of people, and many different types of environments, and building a single thing that works for everyone is very difficult.

a bit like designing a vehicle that can fly in the air, sail on the water, and drive at highway speed

I don't agree with that, because if a user unable to copy a file to a folder, i believe he is also unable to install a program like sexism :o, except without administration rights  ;)

Another point is, if a user has changed something in the _aDSata folder (for example: create/copy a character, or clothes there), and reinstall the game, he might lost this changes.

See article http://www.sexsim.com/forum/index.php/topic,670.msg3027.html#msg3027,
where Jak wrote:
Just a note to anyone using mods like this... if you modify anything in the _aData folder instead of the user_created folder, please be aware that those files may be overwritten when new updates come out.  The safest thing to do is always use the user_created folder for modifications unless absolutely necessary.  If you do mod something in the _aData folder, make sure to back it up before installing any official Sex Sim updates.

I still think it's not to much to ask a user to copy a file to his sexsim folder, but however, if we need to perform a new installation at each patch, update, hotfix or release , i have no problem with that  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk